Surname of Ex-Official’s Wife Adds New Twist to Mystery Chinese women, like Chinese men, are identified by their surnames followed by their given names. When Chinese women marry, they almost never take their husband’s family name, and instead keep their own, which is typically that of their father’s family. China purges Bo from power, investigates […]
- China, Japan more upbeat on ties but challenges remain - Reuters April 30, 2016ReutersChina, Japan more upbeat on ties but challenges remainReutersBEIJING China and Japan both expressed a willingness to improve strained relations on Saturday after a rare meeting between their two foreign ministers in Beijing, though China said Japan should stop pushing the notion that China is a threat. China ...China Lays out Firm Conditions for Impro
- Gwardar Port Project Reveals China's Regional Power Play - NBCNews.com April 30, 2016NBCNews.comGwardar Port Project Reveals China's Regional Power PlayNBCNews.comGWADAR, Pakistan — A 30-by-45-foot Chinese flag draping the port authority building here projects an unmistakable message: Pakistan and China are now self-declared "iron brothers" and "all-weather friends." Underpinning this relationship are some $46 ...and
- Coming to Midtown: Bank of China - Wall Street Journal April 30, 2016Wall Street JournalComing to Midtown: Bank of ChinaWall Street JournalBank of China BACHY -1.94 % is preparing to move its U.S. headquarters this fall to a new 450-foot-tall glass tower overlooking Bryant Park, leaving the low-slung brick building on New York City's East Side that has been its home for 35 years. The bank ...and more »
- Getting China's Economy In Perspective: The View From Inside - Forbes April 30, 2016ForbesGetting China's Economy In Perspective: The View From InsideForbesBook Review of China's Economy: What Everyone Needs To Know – By Arthur Kroeber. China is a gigantic subject. One which leaves most writers reaching for a diminishing supply of superlatives with which to describe it. This is not just on account of its ...
- China's Movies Are a Hit With Investors - Wall Street Journal April 30, 2016Wall Street JournalChina's Movies Are a Hit With InvestorsWall Street JournalChinese filmmakers used to have a hard time finding financing; now investors can't wait to get into show business. The film sector is one of few boom industries in China, with an annual growth rate of more than 30%. As a result, movies have become a ...
- China Claiming Okinawa Is Like Japan Claiming Hawaii - The National Interest Online April 29, 2016The National Interest OnlineChina Claiming Okinawa Is Like Japan Claiming HawaiiThe National Interest OnlineAnalysts suggested that questioning Japanese sovereignty over the Ryukyus was just a way to pressure Japan over the Senkaku Islands, a chain of uninhabited islands in the East China Sea that are administered by Japan and claimed by China. Chinese ...an
- China Refuses Hong Kong Port Call to US Aircraft Carrier - Wall Street Journal April 29, 2016Wall Street JournalChina Refuses Hong Kong Port Call to US Aircraft CarrierWall Street JournalWASHINGTON—The Chinese government refused to allow the U.S. aircraft carrier John C. Stennis to visit Hong Kong, U.S. officials said Friday, a military and diplomatic snub that comes amid strained relations over the territorial disputes in the South ...China denies
- Nations must resist China's maritime flexing, Australian think-tank says - Chicago Tribune April 29, 2016CNBCNations must resist China's maritime flexing, Australian think-tank saysChicago TribuneThe professionalism displayed by China's navy in some of the world's most contested seas is masking an underlying challenge to the existing order in the East China Sea and South China Sea that must be resisted, according to a report by an Australian ...C
- Russia, China warn US over perceived Asia meddling - CBS News April 29, 2016CBS NewsRussia, China warn US over perceived Asia meddlingCBS NewsBEIJING -- Denouncing what they see as outside interference in the South China Sea and Korean Peninsula, the foreign ministers of Russia and China voiced mutual support Friday as they seek to counter the influence of Washington and its allies ...US stands by South Korea defense talks despite C
- Clampdown in China Restricts 7000 Foreign Organizations - New York Times April 28, 2016New York TimesClampdown in China Restricts 7000 Foreign OrganizationsNew York TimesBEIJING — China took a major step on Thursday in President Xi Jinping's drive to impose greater control and limit Western influences on Chinese society, as it passed a new law restricting the work of foreign organizations and their local partners ...China Promotes Vigilan