Surname of Ex-Official’s Wife Adds New Twist to Mystery Chinese women, like Chinese men, are identified by their surnames followed by their given names. When Chinese women marry, they almost never take their husband’s family name, and instead keep their own, which is typically that of their father’s family. China purges Bo from power, investigates […]
- US seeks China's help against North Korean cyberattacks - CNN December 21, 2014New York TimesUS seeks China's help against North Korean cyberattacksCNN(CNN) -- The United States has asked China for help battling North Korean hacking of American information systems, such as the Sony Pictures incident, a senior administration official told CNN on Saturday. "We have discussed this issue with the Chinese ...US Asks China to Help
- China's Xiaomi Valued at More Than $45 Billion - Wall Street Journal December 21, 2014Wall Street JournalChina's Xiaomi Valued at More Than $45 BillionWall Street JournalHONG KONG—Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in its latest round of funding, valuing the fast-growing Chinese smartphone maker at more than $45 billion and making it one of the most valuable technology startups in the world, a person ...The 'Apple Of China
- China proposes broadening use of Yuan for trade with Russia: report - Reuters December 21, 2014China proposes broadening use of Yuan for trade with Russia: reportReutersChinese Minister of Commerce Gao Hucheng said the use of China's yuan, or renminbi, has been increasing for several years but western sanctions on Russia had made the trend more prominent, Phoenix TV said on its website news.ifeng.com. Gao said ...and more »
- China Invests in Region Rich in Oil, Coal and Also Strife - New York Times December 21, 2014New York TimesChina Invests in Region Rich in Oil, Coal and Also StrifeNew York TimesKARAMAY, China — In a desolate park on the city outskirts here, oil bubbling from the ground fills small pools next to a wooden walkway. By one pool is a statue of a bearded ethnic Uighur man sitting on a donkey, playing a lute. The symbolism is telling.
- Chinese Annoyance With North Korea Bubbles to the Surface - New York Times December 21, 2014New York TimesChinese Annoyance With North Korea Bubbles to the SurfaceNew York TimesBEIJING — When a retired Chinese general with impeccable Communist Party credentials recently wrote a scathing account of North Korea as a recalcitrant ally headed for collapse and unworthy of support, he exposed a roiling debate in China about how to ...and more »
- Report: US Wants China to Stop North Korean Hacks with "Blocking Action" - Gizmodo December 20, 2014GizmodoReport: US Wants China to Stop North Korean Hacks with "Blocking Action"GizmodoWell, this is a weird twist. Just hours after we learned that North Korea wanted to work with the United States on a joint investigation into the Sony Pictures hack, The New York Times is reporting that the U.S. now wants China's help in stopping North ...
- Under Xi, China's Wave of 'Weird Architecture' May Have Peaked - New York Times (blog) December 20, 2014New York Times (blog)Under Xi, China's Wave of 'Weird Architecture' May Have PeakedNew York Times (blog)When it opens in two years on Beijing's east side, Chaoyang Park Plaza, a ring of glass towers molded like mountains in a classic Chinese landscape painting and designed by the renowned architect Ma Yansong, will feature apartments, off
- Xi Jinping defends 'one-China' idea in Macau, amid protests - BBC News December 20, 2014BBC NewsXi Jinping defends 'one-China' idea in Macau, amid protestsBBC NewsChinese President Xi Jinping has urged Macau residents to respect the "one-China" policy during a visit to the former Portuguese colony. Mr Xi was marking the 15th anniversary of the territory's return to China. Like neighbouring Hong Kong, Macau is a ...Xi Ji
- China GDP Is Revised 3.4% Higher For Last Year - New York Times December 20, 2014Wall Street JournalChina GDP Is Revised 3.4% Higher For Last YearNew York TimesSHANGHAI — China said on Friday that the size of its economy in 2013 was about 3.4 percent larger than previously reported and that gross domestic product reached $9.6 trillion, according to the National Bureau of Statistics. The revision added more ...China Revises Its GDP Calcul
- China Protests Planned US Sale of Warships to Taiwan - New York Times December 19, 2014Times of IndiaChina Protests Planned US Sale of Warships to TaiwanNew York TimesA spokesman for China's Foreign Affairs Ministry, Qin Gang, said Friday during a regularly scheduled news conference that China “is firmly opposed to the arms sales by the U.S. to Taiwan.” He added that the warship transfer “brutally interferes in ...China lodges protest aft