China ‘collecting Dalai Lama blood samples’ Chinese agencies are secretly collecting samples of the Dalai Lama’s blood, urine and hair and are stepping up efforts to harm him, the Tibetan government in exile said on Sunday. Read more Dissident From China Arrives in U.S., Ending an Ordeal Chen Guangcheng, the blind legal advocate who recently […]
Blind activist emerges from US embassy A blind Chinese activist who fled persecution by local officials in his rural town and sparked a diplomatic standoff by holing up in the U.S. embassy for six days emerged Wednesday after U.S. officials said China had assured his safety. Read more Chen Guangcheng forced to leave US embassy […]
- US Asks China to Help Rein In Korean Hackers - New York Times December 20, 2014New York TimesUS Asks China to Help Rein In Korean HackersNew York TimesWASHINGTON — The Obama administration has sought China's help in recent days in blocking North Korea's ability to launch cyberattacks, the first steps toward the “proportional response” President Obama vowed to make the North pay for the assault on ...Obama Could Hit China to P
- China's Xiaomi Valued at More Than $45 Billion - Wall Street Journal December 20, 2014Wall Street JournalChina's Xiaomi Valued at More Than $45 BillionWall Street JournalHONG KONG—Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in its latest round of funding, valuing the fast-growing Chinese smartphone maker at more than $45 billion and making it one of the most valuable technology startups in the world, a person ...The 'Apple Of China
- Under Xi, China's Wave of 'Weird Architecture' May Have Peaked - New York Times (blog) December 20, 2014New York Times (blog)Under Xi, China's Wave of 'Weird Architecture' May Have PeakedNew York Times (blog)When it opens in two years on Beijing's east side, Chaoyang Park Plaza, a ring of glass towers molded like mountains in a classic Chinese landscape painting and designed by the renowned architect Ma Yansong, will feature apartments, off
- What BMW's China sales really say about the country's slowing economy - Quartz December 20, 2014QuartzWhat BMW's China sales really say about the country's slowing economyQuartzTargets are great motivational tools—to both deceive as well as achieve. In China, the government's promotion system sees local officials overstate their provincial outputs to the tune of a few trillion yuan, for example. It's not just Communist Party ...
- Xi Jinping defends 'one-China' idea in Macau, amid protests - BBC News December 20, 2014BBC NewsXi Jinping defends 'one-China' idea in Macau, amid protestsBBC NewsChinese President Xi Jinping has urged Macau residents to respect the "one-China" policy during a visit to the former Portuguese colony. Mr Xi was marking the 15th anniversary of the territory's return to China. Like neighbouring Hong Kong, Macau is a ...China
- 10 things to know about China, Latin America and the environment - The Guardian December 20, 2014The Guardian10 things to know about China, Latin America and the environmentThe GuardianQuestion: when did contemporary political and media debate start on China's “entry” into the Western hemisphere? Answer: January 1997, when Panama awarded concessions to a Chinese company to operate port facilities on the Atlantic and Pacific coasts ...
- China offers $3 billion in aid and loans to neighbors: Xinhua - Reuters December 20, 2014ReutersChina offers $3 billion in aid and loans to neighbors: XinhuaReutersChinese Premier Li Keqiang said the offer included $1 billion for infrastructure, $490 million for poverty alleviation and $1.6 billion in special loans for China's production capacity export, Xinhua news agency said. During a speech to the fifth ...China to offer funds, producat
- Dispute between China and Vietnam is felt in Little Saigon - Los Angeles Times December 20, 2014Los Angeles TimesDispute between China and Vietnam is felt in Little SaigonLos Angeles TimesFor months, anger has grown among Vietnamese as China has become more assertive in its claim to the Paracel and Spratly islands, which offer rich fishing grounds for countries such as Vietnam and strategic outposts for countries such as China. Reports ...China's
- China GDP Is Revised 3.4% Higher For Last Year - New York Times December 20, 2014Wall Street JournalChina GDP Is Revised 3.4% Higher For Last YearNew York TimesSHANGHAI — China said on Friday that the size of its economy in 2013 was about 3.4 percent larger than previously reported and that gross domestic product reached $9.6 trillion, according to the National Bureau of Statistics. The revision added more ...China Revises Its GDP Calcul
- China Protests Planned US Sale of Warships to Taiwan - New York Times December 19, 2014USNI NewsChina Protests Planned US Sale of Warships to TaiwanNew York TimesA spokesman for China's Foreign Affairs Ministry, Qin Gang, said Friday during a regularly scheduled news conference that China “is firmly opposed to the arms sales by the U.S. to Taiwan.” He added that the warship transfer “brutally interferes in ...China lodges protest after Ob