China high school student sells kidney to purchase iPhone, iPad A teenage high-school student in China sold his kidney for an illicit transplant operation and used the proceeds to buy an Apple iPhone and iPad, state press said on Friday. The 17-year-old boy, who was paid 22,000 yuan (US$3,500), was recruited from an online […]
- Shares gain on US tech earnings, ECB purchase plans - Reuters October 21, 2014ReutersShares gain on US tech earnings, ECB purchase plansReutersOfficial data showing China's gross domestic product grew 7.3 percent in the third quarter from a year earlier, marking the weakest growth since the first quarter of 2009, weighed on Chinese shares and stoked concerns over global economic growth.Europe, U.S. Stocks Climb on Earnings, ECB S
- Mixed Economic Signals From China - New York Times October 21, 2014New York TimesMixed Economic Signals From ChinaNew York TimesLi Keqiang, China's prime minister, boasted in a speech at a World Economic Forum meeting last month that nearly 10 million urban jobs had been created in the first eight months of the year, up slightly from a year ago. As a result, he said, he would ...China's growth slowest since global
- Tough US rivalries, China food scandal pound McDonald's - Reuters October 21, 2014ReutersTough US rivalries, China food scandal pound McDonald'sReuters(Reuters) - McDonald's Corp's (MCD.N) - which has not given investors many reasons to sing the fast-food chain's "I'm lovin' it" jingle - on Tuesday said quarterly profit dropped by nearly one-third and warned that global restaurant sales will fall ..
- Top bid to build new MBTA subway cars is from China - Boston Globe October 21, 2014Boston GlobeTop bid to build new MBTA subway cars is from ChinaBoston GlobeThe Massachusetts Department of Transportation board of directors is scheduled to vote Wednesday on the contract for CNR MA Corporation, which is a venture of China CNR Corporation Limited and CNR Changchun Railway Vehicles Co., according to the ...and more »
- China Growth Seen Slowing Sharply Over Decade - Wall Street Journal October 21, 2014China Growth Seen Slowing Sharply Over DecadeWall Street JournalBEIJING—China's growth will slow sharply during the coming decade to 3.9% as its productivity nose dives and the country's leaders fail to push through tough measures to remake the economy, according to a report expected to come out Monday. Such an ...
- China-backed hackers may have infiltrated Apple's iCloud: blog - Reuters October 21, 2014ReutersChina-backed hackers may have infiltrated Apple's iCloud: blogReutersBOSTON/BEIJING (Reuters) - Apple Inc's (AAPL.O) iCloud storage and backup service in China was attacked by hackers trying to steal user credentials, a Chinese web monitoring group said, adding that it believes the country's government is behind the ...China denies back
- Australia set to help China seize assets of corrupt Chinese officials: reports - Reuters October 21, 2014BBC NewsAustralia set to help China seize assets of corrupt Chinese officials: reportsReutersThe priority list agreed between China's Ministry of Public Security and the AFP was culled from a broader list of "less than a hundred people", Hill told the paper, adding that the assets China was pursuing in Australia were in the "many hundreds
- Presumed Guilty in China's War on Corruption, Targets Suffer Abuses - New York Times October 20, 2014New York TimesPresumed Guilty in China's War on Corruption, Targets Suffer AbusesNew York TimesBEIJING — He was starved, pummeled and interrogated for days on end in an ice-cold room where sleeping, sitting or even leaning against a wall were forbidden. One beating left Wang Guanglong, a midlevel official from China's Fujian Province, partly ...and
- China Versus America - New York Times October 20, 2014China Versus AmericaNew York TimesSINGAPORE — Let us take it as a given that the post-1945 world order with the United States as dominant nation has begun to unravel, that China is rising to inherit the earth, that the unease of our times has much to do with that difficult transition ...
- UN Group Urges China's Wealthy to Fight Ebola - Wall Street Journal October 20, 2014Wall Street JournalUN Group Urges China's Wealthy to Fight EbolaWall Street JournalBEIJING-Chinese corporations and wealthy individuals aren't contributing enough to help fight the spread of Ebola in West Africa, despite the nation's deep ties to the impacted region, according to the United Nations World Food Programme's China ...China Wo