“Anonymous” says plans more attacks against China sites The activist hacker group Anonymous plans to launch further attacks on Chinese government websites in a bid to uncover corruption and lobby for human rights, a member of the group said on Monday. China to see slow growth in Q2 coal demand The growth in China’s coal […]
- China Will Keep Growing. Just Ask the Soviets. - New York Times October 25, 2014Telegraph.co.ukChina Will Keep Growing. Just Ask the Soviets.New York TimesThere has been plenty of discussion lately about signs that China's economy is slowing down, focused on details of a possible housing bubble and vast sums of bad loans that the country will have to reckon with. But put aside the challenges China faces ...China's future growt
- Kenny G Explains His Run-In With China's Communist Party - The Atlantic October 25, 2014The AtlanticKenny G Explains His Run-In With China's Communist PartyThe AtlanticThe Chinese government was not amused. Hua Chunying, spokeswoman for the country's foreign ministry, issued a statement that said: “Kenny G's musical works are widely popular in China, but China's position on the illegal Occupy Central activities is ...Asia Pa
- Weak Yen Pressures Japanese Firms Operating in China - Wall Street Journal October 25, 2014Wall Street JournalWeak Yen Pressures Japanese Firms Operating in ChinaWall Street JournalTOKYO—The yen's sharp decline against the yuan is clobbering some Japanese companies operating in China, forcing them to rethink their businesses there. The companies affected are those that pay wages and operating costs in yuan but earn revenue in ...and more »
- 16 Killed in Northwest China Coal Mine Collapse - ABC News October 25, 2014ABC News16 Killed in Northwest China Coal Mine CollapseABC NewsA coal mine shaft collapsed in northwestern China, killing 16 miners, an official said Saturday, highlighting the persistence of safety problems in the industry despite a leveling off of demand. Another 11 miners were injured in the disaster, which ...16 dead in China coal mine collapseIrish Inde
- China's Rail Ambitions Route to Lasting Growth - Barron's October 25, 2014MarketWatchChina's Rail Ambitions Route to Lasting GrowthBarron'sAt least in China, that is. As officials in Beijing struggle to keep economic growth from slowing, they've been accelerating investment in new railways, a trend that's likely to boost earnings at the handful of mainland companies that build them and ...China train companies
- Deal Set on China-Led Infrastructure Bank - New York Times October 24, 2014ABC NewsDeal Set on China-Led Infrastructure BankNew York TimesThe bank, proposed a year ago by President Xi Jinping of China, is to offer financing for infrastructure projects in underdeveloped countries across Asia. China, which has promised to contribute much of the initial $50 billion in capital, sees it as a ...China, 20 Other Countries Initiate New Asi
- Height discrimination - The Economist October 24, 2014The EconomistHeight discriminationThe EconomistWHEN two security guards in Dalian in north-east China got their first month's pay packet earlier this year, they questioned why each received different amounts for identical work. The company responded that one man was 5cm (two inches) taller than his ...
- China's Submarines Add Nuclear-Strike Capability, Altering Strategic Balance - Wall Street Journal October 24, 2014China's Submarines Add Nuclear-Strike Capability, Altering Strategic BalanceWall Street JournalOne Sunday morning last December, China's defense ministry summoned military attachés from several embassies to its monolithic Beijing headquarters. To the foreigners' surprise, the Chinese said that one of their nuclear-powered submarines would soon
- China Moves to Reinforce Rule of Law, With Caveats - New York Times October 23, 2014New York TimesChina Moves to Reinforce Rule of Law, With CaveatsNew York TimesBEIJING — Communist Party leaders, seeking to address widespread dissatisfaction with China's politicized and corrupt judiciary, endorsed a raft of legal changes on Thursday to foster a more predictable legal system while keeping the courts under the ...China Vows to Strengthe
- To the moon and back: Lunar mission to test China's space program - CNN October 23, 2014CNNTo the moon and back: Lunar mission to test China's space programCNNHong Kong (CNN) -- China says it will launch an experimental spacecraft between Friday and Sunday that will orbit the moon before returning to Earth, in a first for the country's ambitious space program. The unmanned spacecraft will be launched by a ...