Increasing migration requires better family planning in China China’s family planning service, which has effectively implemented the one-child policy over three decades, is facing challenges from the increasing migrant population, said a senior family planning official in Beijing Friday. China pulls out 1 ship but no end to sea standoff China withdrew one of three […]
- China media: Russia's rouble crisis - BBC News December 18, 2014BBC NewsChina media: Russia's rouble crisisBBC NewsPapers discuss China's economic ties with Russia in the wake of a sharp decline in the rouble's value against the dollar. Russia has been hit hard by the fall in oil prices and the crumble in the value of the rouble, triggering panic that the country ...U.S.-China Economic Role Reversal Roils
- China is Planning to Purge Foreign Technology and Replace With Homegrown ... - Bloomberg December 18, 2014BloombergChina is Planning to Purge Foreign Technology and Replace With Homegrown ...BloombergChina is aiming to purge most foreign technology from banks, the military, state-owned enterprises and key government agencies by 2020, stepping up efforts to shift to Chinese suppliers, according to people familiar with the effort. The push comes ...and more »
- Is China's economy really the largest in the world? - BBC News December 18, 2014BBC NewsIs China's economy really the largest in the world?BBC NewsFor the first time in more than 140 years, the US has lost the title of the world's largest economy - it has been stolen by China, according to the IMF. But how reliable are the statistics underpinning this claim? The BBC's economics editor, Robert ...China Raises Estimate of S
- China increasingly cold to Western companies and investors - San Francisco Chronicle December 17, 2014China increasingly cold to Western companies and investorsSan Francisco ChronicleLocated on the Hangpu River on land that was rice paddies just decades ago, the 1,535-foot skyscraper — one of the tallest in the world — signals China's desire to emulate countries like the United States and Great Britain as modern, global powers.and more »
- UPDATE 2-China approves imports of Viptera corn, two types of soybeans- Vilsack - Reuters December 17, 2014Wall Street JournalUPDATE 2-China approves imports of Viptera corn, two types of soybeans- VilsackReuters(Adds comments from Vilsack, U.S. trade negotiator). By Tom Polansek. CHICAGO Dec 17 (Reuters) - A top Chinese government official said the country has approved imports of genetically modified Agrisure Viptera corn and two varieties of biotech soybeans ..
- What China's 2014 internet memes said about the country's hopes and fears - Quartz December 17, 2014QuartzWhat China's 2014 internet memes said about the country's hopes and fearsQuartzIn 2014, Chinese president Xi Jinping's crackdown on corrupt officials and activists grew harsher. Pollution, food safety worries, the threat of a real estate collapse, and a slower growing economy remained high on everyone's list of worries. And if ...
- US Imposes Steep Tariffs on Chinese Solar Panels - New York Times December 17, 2014ReutersUS Imposes Steep Tariffs on Chinese Solar PanelsNew York TimesThe Commerce Department began closing a chapter in a protracted trade conflict with China over solar equipment Tuesday, approving a collection of steep tariffs on imports from China and Taiwan. The decision, intended to close a loophole that had ...US slaps hefty duties on solar goods from
- Uber's expansion in China has been near-flawless—except it may be too late - Quartz December 17, 2014BloombergUber's expansion in China has been near-flawless—except it may be too lateQuartzBaidu, China's dominant search engine, today confirmed a strategic investment in Uber, the US-based on-demand car app that launched in China earlier this year. In addition to an undisclosed financial investment, Uber will be promoted on Baidu's maps ...Bai
- Slowdown in China Bruises Economy in Latin America - New York Times December 17, 2014New York TimesSlowdown in China Bruises Economy in Latin AmericaNew York TimesSANTIAGO, Chile — Few people are as intensely worried about the slowing Chinese economy as Latin Americans. Not only does China buy nearly 40 percent of Chile's copper, but its once-insatiable demand helped push copper prices from $1 to $4 a pound ...and more »
- No weddings, no funerals: China decrees new rules when singing national anthem - CNN December 15, 2014CNNNo weddings, no funerals: China decrees new rules when singing national anthemCNNBeijing (CNN) -- China's 1.3 billion citizens may soon find it much harder to belt out their national anthem at will. A series of rules proposed by the government will set strict limits on when, where and how "March of the Volunteers" -- the anthem of ...China