Weibo Comments Suspended in Coup Rumour Aftermath Following rumours of a coup by allies of dethroned Chongqing Party chief Bo Xilai, Xinhua reported on Saturday that authorities have taken action against a number of websites and individuals involved in the rumours’ spread: Beijing’s Taxicab Contention As economic expansion benefits China’s growing middle class, long stagnant […]
- Beijing Is Angering Its Only Friend In The Disputed South China Sea - Forbes May 27, 2016ForbesBeijing Is Angering Its Only Friend In The Disputed South China SeaForbesChina has upset Asian neighbors from Japan to Vietnam by flexing harder than the rest on its claims to vast swathes of disputed oceans. But Asia's third largest country, Indonesia, usually tolerates its brushes with Beijing to keep up prized economic ties.After sea spat, Chin
- Dwayne Johnson's China-Set Action Pitch Auction Won By Legendary - Deadline May 27, 2016DeadlineDwayne Johnson's China-Set Action Pitch Auction Won By LegendaryDeadlineUPDATED, 6:03 PM: Legendary has won the multi-studio bidding war for rights to Skyscraper, an action pitch set in China starring Dwayne Johnson and to be written and directed by his Central Intelligence helmer Rawson Marshall Thurber. Mary Parent, who ...
- From Wumart to Uncle Martian, experts say China's copycat problem is BIG - CNBC May 27, 2016CNBCFrom Wumart to Uncle Martian, experts say China's copycat problem is BIGCNBCFrom sportswear rip-offs to suspiciously familiar brand names such as "Wumart," China's counterfeit and intellectual property (IP) infringement problem is massive and raising questions around the world about how seriously the country is fighting fakes, ...and
- China Swaps Troupes for Troops - Wall Street Journal May 26, 2016Wall Street JournalChina Swaps Troupes for TroopsWall Street JournalBEIJING—One military unit in China's northeast has racked up some notable international victories. They're just not the kind President Xi Jinping wants as he undertakes the biggest restructuring of the People's Liberation Army since the 1950s. Among ...China's 'feud
- There's only one way for China to escape a debt-deflation trap - Business Insider May 26, 2016Business InsiderThere's only one way for China to escape a debt-deflation trapBusiness InsiderYu Yongding, a former adviser to the People's Bank of China, thinks that the country is missing a trick. In an opinion piece on Project Syndicate, he said that the supply-side structural reforms the country's leadership has proposed will help address
- China's Middle Class Is About to Demand Big Changes - Fortune May 26, 2016FortuneChina's Middle Class Is About to Demand Big ChangesFortuneDepending on what estimates one uses, the number of middle class people in China varies from roughly 70% of the urban population (based on a McKinsey study in 2013) to 200 million people, according to an authoritative survey of 40,000 households ...and more »
- G7 agrees need strong message on South China Sea; China says don't 'hype' - Reuters May 26, 2016ReutersG7 agrees need strong message on South China Sea; China says don't 'hype'ReutersThe agreement prompted a sharp rejoinder from China, which is not in the G7 club but whose rise as a power has put it at the heart of some discussions at the advanced nations' summit in Ise-Shima, central Japan. "Prime Minister (Shinzo) Abe led ...
- Trade fight: China calls new US steel import duties unfair - USA TODAY May 26, 2016USA TODAYTrade fight: China calls new US steel import duties unfairUSA TODAYChina has charged the U.S. with unfair trade policies after imposing a new wave of tough penalties on low-priced steel imports. After the Commerce Department on Wednesday announced anti-dumping duties on Chinese corrosion-resistant steel products of ...US panel launches trade secret
- Bus Project Finds a Way Around China's Traffic Jams: Gliding Above Them - New York Times May 26, 2016New York TimesBus Project Finds a Way Around China's Traffic Jams: Gliding Above ThemNew York TimesBEIJING — Could the solution to China's urban gridlock be a flying bus? A model for a giant, elevated bus was presented over the weekend at the Beijing International High-Tech Expo, though it was not the first time that what has been called a ...China
- Warning sign: China sets currency at 5-year low - CNNMoney May 26, 2016CNNMoneyWarning sign: China sets currency at 5-year lowCNNMoneyOn Wednesday, China's central bank weakened its currency. It set the reference rate for the yuan at the lowest level in five years. The actual cut was small: only about 0.3%. It didn't send world markets into a downward spiral like in August, when ...China Turns From Foe to Friend in th