Weibo Comments Suspended in Coup Rumour Aftermath Following rumours of a coup by allies of dethroned Chongqing Party chief Bo Xilai, Xinhua reported on Saturday that authorities have taken action against a number of websites and individuals involved in the rumours’ spread: Beijing’s Taxicab Contention As economic expansion benefits China’s growing middle class, long stagnant […]
- Commodities fall saves China's blushes - Financial Times July 5, 2015Commodities fall saves China's blushesFinancial TimesAt its first-quarter briefing in April, China's National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) reported that gross domestic product had risen 7 per cent, but did not provide a breakdown of the figure into its three components — consumption, investment and net ...
- China's Market Rout Is a Double Threat - New York Times July 5, 2015New York TimesChina's Market Rout Is a Double ThreatNew York TimesHONG KONG — For nearly three years, President Xi Jinping of China has crushed opposition by silencing and often locking up anyone who dares defy the government. But that aura of invincibility has been shaken by stock market speculators who have made ...China's Central Bank to Provide
- China's stock markets are about to face a make-or-break week - Business Insider July 5, 2015Business InsiderChina's stock markets are about to face a make-or-break weekBusiness InsiderChina's stock markets may be facing a make-or-break week after officials rolled out an unprecedented series of steps at the weekend to prevent a full-blown stock market crash that could threaten the world's second-largest economy. The government is ...a
- Meanwhile In China - New York Times (blog) July 5, 2015Meanwhile In ChinaNew York Times (blog)Some of us have been worrying quite a lot about China — an economy that at market exchange rates is 40 times the size of Greece, and is severely unbalanced. And in the past month, mainly in the past few days, the Shanghai stock index has fallen almost ...
- S. Korean official falls to death in China - Yahoo News July 5, 2015Yahoo NewsS. Korean official falls to death in ChinaYahoo NewsAn official dispatched from Seoul to deal with the aftermath of a bus crash in China that killed 10 South Koreans was found dead in a suspected suicide early Sunday after falling from a hotel, Chinese state media reported.South Korean fatal bus tour official falls to his death in ChinaSouth China
- 'Terminator Genisys' Release in China Will be a Litmus Test For Hollywood - Forbes July 5, 2015Forbes'Terminator Genisys' Release in China Will be a Litmus Test For HollywoodForbesThis week's lackluster global debut of Terminator Genisys, the new installment in the 31 year-old Terminator franchise, will have the executives at Paramount looking east and hoping for a China save. With its massive movie market now routinely ...and more »
- Hillary Clinton says China hacks into “everything that doesn't move” - Quartz July 5, 2015CNNHillary Clinton says China hacks into “everything that doesn't move”QuartzFormer US secretary of state and Democratic candidate for president Hillary Clinton warns supporters of an increasingly aggressive China during a campaign event in New Hampshire on July 4, 2015. (Reuters/Dominick Reuter) ...Clinton has strong words on Chinese hackingCNNHillary
- China says tourists attacked in Turkey during anti-China protests - Reuters July 5, 2015ReutersChina says tourists attacked in Turkey during anti-China protestsReutersRelations between Turkey and China have been strained recently over the treatment of Muslim Uighur people in China's far western region of Xinjiang, who have reportedly had been banned from worship and fasting during the holy month of Ramadan.Hundreds march in Istanbul to pro
- Japan joins US-Australia war games in NT and Queensland amid China dispute - The Guardian July 5, 2015The GuardianJapan joins US-Australia war games in NT and Queensland amid China disputeThe Guardian“There's subtle message going out that at every level – from hardware to technical and strategic expertise and co-operation – the main American allies and America are working very closely together largely to account for China,” said a China specialist ...Ja
- China spends billions to prevent stock market crash - CNNMoney July 4, 2015Financial TimesChina spends billions to prevent stock market crashCNNMoneyOn Saturday, China's 21 largest brokerage firms said they would spend a whopping 120 billion yuan (about $19.3 billion) to try to stabilize the market, according to Chinese state media. The firms will actually buy stock funds themselves. The goal is to ...China scrambles to reassu