Weibo Comments Suspended in Coup Rumour Aftermath Following rumours of a coup by allies of dethroned Chongqing Party chief Bo Xilai, Xinhua reported on Saturday that authorities have taken action against a number of websites and individuals involved in the rumours’ spread: Beijing’s Taxicab Contention As economic expansion benefits China’s growing middle class, long stagnant […]
- India raises defence budget modestly as it confronts China challenge - Reuters February 28, 2015ReutersIndia raises defence budget modestly as it confronts China challengeReutersAfter years of neglect, India is trying to narrow the military gap with China, which has been building up its fleet of ships and submarines making forays in the Indian Ocean. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, unveiling the federal budget for 2015/16, said ...and more »
- China's Neighbors Bulk Up Militaries - Wall Street Journal February 28, 2015Wall Street JournalChina's Neighbors Bulk Up MilitariesWall Street JournalMANILA—China's neighbors are moving forward with the modernization of their militaries with new fighter jets, submarines and other hardware, even as Beijing has tried to tamp down territorial tensions in the region. The military buildup is an ...The Ultimate Nightmare: Are th
- Breitbart's Adelle Nazarian on CPAC 'China Rising' Panel - Breitbart News February 28, 2015Breitbart NewsBreitbart's Adelle Nazarian on CPAC 'China Rising' PanelBreitbart NewsNATIONAL HARBOR, MARYLAND– Breitbart News' Adelle Nazarian was part of a distinguished panel of experts on Friday at the 2015 Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) titled “China Rising,” where speakers elaborated on the threats posed by ...
- Wild Giant Pandas Making a Comeback in China - TIME February 28, 2015TIMEWild Giant Pandas Making a Comeback in ChinaTIMEThe Chinese government has some good news for panda lovers. A new survey by China's State Forestry Administration indicates that the wild giant panda population has grown to 1,864, representing an increase of 268 pandas since 2003. The number of ...Wild giant panda population increases in ChinaFox News
- China Cuts Interest Rates to Stimulate Slowing Economy - New York Times February 28, 2015Wall Street JournalChina Cuts Interest Rates to Stimulate Slowing EconomyNew York TimesSHANGHAI — With its growth engine slowing, China said on Saturday that it was reducing the nation's benchmark interest rates for the second time in three months. In an announcement on its website, China's central bank said that, effective Sunday, the ...China
- US says China aggressively expanding into South China Sea - Press TV February 28, 2015Press TVUS says China aggressively expanding into South China SeaPress TVSpeaking at a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing on Thursday, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper voiced concern over land reclamation activities in the South China Sea that could further escalate tensions between China and its ...China 'aggressively' expandin
- China's Yuan Slumps on Growth Worries - Wall Street Journal February 28, 2015Wall Street JournalChina's Yuan Slumps on Growth WorriesWall Street JournalChina's yuan fell to its weakest level against the dollar in more than two years on Friday, extending a decline driven by the prospect of a slowdown in the world's second-largest economy. Investors have been selling the yuan in recent months amid a ...China under pressu
- Mutual Suspicion Mars Tech Trade With China - New York Times February 28, 2015New York TimesMutual Suspicion Mars Tech Trade With ChinaNew York TimesBEIJING — At an elegant guesthouse here recently, China's top Internet regulator entertained ambassadors and diplomats with platters of tempura and roast on a spit, unusual lavishness in an era of official austerity in China, to celebrate the Chinese ...US Presses China on Technology
- Americans See China's Economic Power as Diminished Threat - Gallup.com February 27, 2015Gallup.comAmericans See China's Economic Power as Diminished ThreatGallup.comPRINCETON, N.J. -- Forty percent of Americans regard "the economic power of China" as a critical threat to the vital interests of the U.S., down from 52% in both 2013 and 2014. Since last year, Americans have shifted more toward viewing China's ...and more »
- In China, Civic Groups' Freedom, and Followers, Are Vanishing - New York Times February 26, 2015New York TimesIn China, Civic Groups' Freedom, and Followers, Are VanishingNew York TimesAnother employee fled China's capital, fearing he would be forced to testify against his colleagues in rigged trials. “The anxiety is overwhelming, not knowing if they are coming for you,” said the employee, Yang Zili, a researcher at the Transition ...