Increasing migration requires better family planning in China China’s family planning service, which has effectively implemented the one-child policy over three decades, is facing challenges from the increasing migrant population, said a senior family planning official in Beijing Friday. China pulls out 1 ship but no end to sea standoff China withdrew one of three […]
- China Is Tearing Down Crosses - Daily Beast August 2, 2015Daily BeastChina Is Tearing Down CrossesDaily BeastHONG KONG—Christians in China sometimes paint their crosses red to remind them of the blood shed by the faithful when Chairman Mao Zedong's shock troops tried to obliterate their faith almost 50 years ago. Now, many of China's Christians fear that the ...
- There's a giant underground ocean hidden in the middle of this Chinese desert - Business Insider August 1, 2015Business InsiderThere's a giant underground ocean hidden in the middle of this Chinese desertBusiness InsiderWhen we think about the deserts of the world, water abundance is one of the last things that come to mind. But that might change for the Taklamakan Desert in northwest China. While studying the amount of carbon dioxide in the desert's air, a
- Making sense of a wild week for China's economy - CNBC August 1, 2015CNBCMaking sense of a wild week for China's economyCNBCOn Friday, China was awarded the 2022 Winter Olympics, which will make it the first country to host both Summer and Winter Games. But that wasn't the big news out of China in the past week. A huge slide in the Chinese stock market on Monday and ...China woes fail to frighten big fund managersFi
- China's National Summer Blackout Is A Roaring Success - Forbes August 1, 2015ForbesChina's National Summer Blackout Is A Roaring SuccessForbesSeveral times each year China's film authorities impose blackouts—or 'domestic film protection periods', in local parlance—that severely limit the exhibition of foreign films in mainland theaters. The idea is to open up more screen time for Chinese ...and more »
- China's large manufacturers stall as demand weakens at home and abroad - The Guardian August 1, 2015The GuardianChina's large manufacturers stall as demand weakens at home and abroadThe GuardianGrowth at China's big manufacturers unexpectedly stalled in July as demand at home and abroad weakened, an official survey showed on Saturday, reinforcing views that the economy needs more stimulus as it faces fresh risks from a stock market slump.China Of
- China's military is jangling nerves again - Business Insider August 1, 2015Business InsiderChina's military is jangling nerves againBusiness InsiderBEIJING (Reuters) - China's military warned on Saturday on its founding anniversary of growing risks along its borders, including in the disputed waters of the South and East China Seas. The Chinese military, the world's largest, has embarked upon an ...On Army Day, China
- Do China's Stock Markets Portend The Chickens Are Finally Coming Home To Roost? - Forbes August 1, 2015Do China's Stock Markets Portend The Chickens Are Finally Coming Home To Roost?ForbesNo economy can have its cake and eat it too. The overarching objective of modern China's economic reform program, which was launched in 1978 soon after the death of Mao Tse Tung and perhaps best encapsulated in Deng Xiao Ping's 1992 ...
- 2022 Olympics Leave China Beaming From Its Growing Clout - New York Times August 1, 2015New York Times2022 Olympics Leave China Beaming From Its Growing CloutNew York TimesCheers broke out across China on Friday as the International Olympic Committee announced that Beijing would become the first city to host both the Winter and Summer Games. People waved giant red flags at the Great Wall and performed dragon dances ...China gets the 2022 winter
- Obama team, military at odds over South China Sea - Politico July 31, 2015PoliticoObama team, military at odds over South China SeaPoliticoSome U.S. naval commanders are at odds with the Obama administration over whether to sail Navy ships right into a disputed area in the South China Sea — a debate that pits some military leaders who want to exercise their freedom of navigation against ...China: US Working to 'Militarize the
- What China Has Been Building in the South China Sea - New York Times July 31, 2015New York TimesWhat China Has Been Building in the South China SeaNew York Times“The announcement marks a change in diplomatic tone, and indicates that China has reached its scheduled completion on several land reclamation projects and is now moving into the construction phase,” said Mira Rapp-Hooper, director of the Asia Maritime ...China, Southeast Asia to