China continued last week to use its economic power and deep pockets to buy influence around the globe. Xinhua reported that China has almost 360 investment projects in Cambodia at present, with a total amount of foreign direct investment (FDI) of 1.43 billion U.S. dollars as of 2011. China agreed to increase investments in Cambodia’s […]
- Presumed Guilty in China's War on Corruption, Targets Suffer Abuses - New York Times October 20, 2014New York TimesPresumed Guilty in China's War on Corruption, Targets Suffer AbusesNew York TimesBEIJING — He was starved, pummeled and interrogated for days on end in an ice-cold room where sleeping, sitting or even leaning against a wall were forbidden. One beating left Wang Guanglong, a midlevel official from China's Fujian Province, partly ...
- At Least 22 People Are Reported Killed in Attack at a Market in Western China - New York Times October 20, 2014Times of IndiaAt Least 22 People Are Reported Killed in Attack at a Market in Western ChinaNew York TimesBEIJING — An attack on a farmers market in the western Chinese region of Xinjiang has reportedly left at least 22 people dead and dozens injured, Radio Free Asia, the news service financed by the American government, has reported. Radio Free Asia said ...
- PRESS DIGEST - China - Oct 20 - Reuters October 20, 2014Gatestone InstitutePRESS DIGEST - China - Oct 20ReutersFive companies face delisting within 30 days after the China Securities Regulatory Commission on Friday issued new rules to get loss-making companies or those in violation of regulatory practices to delist. For Hong Kong and South China newspapers see.Chinese Shares Advance Most in Three Weeks on Economi
- China's crackdown slows Tibetan refugee crossings to freedom in India - Washington Post October 20, 2014China's crackdown slows Tibetan refugee crossings to freedom in IndiaWashington PostThe International Campaign for Tibet, a Washington advocacy group, says the Chinese have conducted two large-scale military drills in Tibet since May to prepare for “combat,” as well as training sessions for police stationed inside Buddhist monasteries.and more »
- China seeks Australian help in corruption crackdown - Sydney Morning Herald October 19, 2014Sydney Morning HeraldChina seeks Australian help in corruption crackdownSydney Morning HeraldBeijing: China is seeking the extradition and seizure of assets of corrupt officials who have fled to Australia with illicit funds running into the hundreds of millions of dollars. In an unprecedented joint operation with its Chinese counterparts, the ...China seeks
- What China Means by 'Rule of Law' - New York Times October 19, 2014CNBCWhat China Means by 'Rule of Law'New York TimesNEW HAVEN — Two weeks ago, with the democracy protests in Hong Kong in full swing, China's official People's Daily newspaper labeled them “illegal” and called for protecting “the rule of law” in Hong Kong. Such statements left observers with little ...China's Fourth Plenum: What you
- Bear bites off boy's arm at Chinese zoo - The Guardian October 19, 2014The GuardianBear bites off boy's arm at Chinese zooThe GuardianA bear in central China has bitten off the arm of a nine-year-old boy who tried to feed it through the bars of its cage. Media reports said the attack happened on Saturday afternoon at a zoo in Pingdingshan Hebin park in Henan province. A doctor at the ...
- China says it's hard to resume cyber security talks with US - Reuters October 19, 2014The GuardianChina says it's hard to resume cyber security talks with USReutersBEIJING (Reuters) - Resuming cyber security cooperation between China and the United States would be difficult because of "mistaken U.S. practices", China's top diplomat told U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry. Cyber security is an irritant to ...China says US m
- Aging S.F. dry dock will be China-bound - SFGate October 18, 2014SFGateAging S.F. dry dock will be China-boundSFGateAfter 57 years of maritime service and another 15 years as something of a San Francisco eyesore, the historic, 4,200-ton Drydock 1 was hoisted onto the deck of a cargo ship bound for a ship recycler in China. The carefully choreographed maneuver ...Coast Guard enforces safety zone around drydock headed to Ch
- Nets and Kings Visit China as NBA Practices Basketball Diplomacy - New York Times October 18, 2014New York TimesNets and Kings Visit China as NBA Practices Basketball DiplomacyNew York TimesLast year, the Agricultural Bank of China, one of China's so-called Big Four state-owned banks, was a Nets sponsor, and Yormark said the team was close to developing three or four other major partnerships with Chinese companies. “They see us as the ...NBA to part